[Mageia-dev] ANN: shadow-utils & util-linux with new default paths in testing

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Nov 21 01:59:43 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and JA Magallón at 21/11/12 00:35 did gyre and gimble:
> On 11/20/2012 11:43 PM, Luc Menut wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following my proposal to fix and unify default paths after UsrMove
>>   http://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-November/019931.html
>> I pushed in cauldron core/updates_testing shadows-utils-4.1.5.1-2 and
>> util-linux-2.22.1-7 using these default paths:
>>   PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin for normal user,
>>   PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin for root.
>>

> Mmmm, this is a discussion I always had with my sysadmin at work...
> Do you really want that a binary in local can oerride one in system ?
> Should not local paths be after system ones ?

While I personally tend to just make updated packages, one of the
reasons I thought people used /usr/local was to install newer/patched
versions of system provided binaries... thus what would be the point in
favouring the system paths over the local paths?