[Mageia-dev] Question about mysql-workbench documentation license

Juan Luis Baptiste juancho at mageia.org
Wed Nov 21 05:31:15 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste <juancho at mageia.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM, andre999 <andre999mga at laposte.net>wrote:
>
>> An alternate approach would be to package and distribute the
>> documentation separately (as nonfree).  Oracle permits this as long as it
>> is only available on the same media or sites as mysql-workbench -- which
>> concurs with our current practices.
>> Then the mysql-workbench package itself would still be GPL.
>>
>> So I'd go for the second option.
>> Maybe adding a comment in the mysql-workbench description indicating that
>> due to licensing restrictions, the documentation is available in non-free.

Giving it a second thought, I think this isn't a good idea because if I
split the documentation into a separate package that would mean that I
would need to have mysql-workbench sources also in the documentation
package to be able to build it. And looking more closely at the Fedora
patch, they remove the documentation but patch the program to open the
online version of the documentation. IMO, if we can't include the doc in
the same mysql-workbench package then the online approach is better.

--
Juancho