[Mageia-dev] Can't win - or, best of both worlds . . .!

Robert Fox list at foxconsult.net
Fri Nov 23 09:46:43 CET 2012

There has been much discussion over the KDE NetApplet and the lack of
reliability with it - on my laptop (Thinkpad X220) it crashes regularly
and I can't get it to switch between WWAN0 and WLAN0 without failing.
Strangely, under Gnome - the Gnome network manager works flawlessly.  I
can easily start and stop the WiFi or UMTS connection without problems.

On the other hand, I use Evolution as my main e-mail client (since many
years now) - oddly, when I am in Gnome - I can not click on calendar
invites (accept / decline) - but in KDE using Evolution - I can.

So now I have to login to Gnome to get the UMTS to work, and then logout
and login to KDE just to accept meeting invites . . . Kinda painful.

My dream is to have KDE networking working as well as Gnomes' - although
with every successive release of KDE (we now have 4.10 B1 in Cauldron) -
the networking applet never gets better.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out WHY a native Gnome app like
Evolution has problems with calendar meeting invites - but the same
program works fine under KDE.

Very strange and frustrating  . . . Sorry for the rant . . . .

Happy Thanksgiving (to those from the States) -
R.Fox