[Mageia-dev] Utter frustration

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sat Nov 24 14:33:16 CET 2012

In Cauldron, I'm once again struggling with the inability to make
configuration changes.  I first met it and wrote about it when trying
to get wifi working.  Now I'm trying to change shutdown option, and
meet the same problem again.

"Administrator authorisation is required to change the Login Manager
settings"

That implies root password, to me, but "Authentication failure, please
try again".

After that a new box pops up -

"Unable to authenticate/execute the action: DBus Backend error: could
not contact the helper.  Connection error: The name
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files.
Message error: Did not receive a reply.  Possible causes include: the
remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security
policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
connection was broken (code 7)"

Whatever is blocking these changes is a right royal PITA.  If you are
tempted to shut off security measures by such setting, it is asking
for trouble.

Caulron was behaving so well until a couple of weeks or so ago.  It's
driving me mad at the moment.  Is there any way out of this mess?  and
also, asked in another thread, any way to stop it locking my screen if
I look away for a couple of minutes?

Anne