[Mageia-dev] what is this ????

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 20:09:05 CET 2012

2012/11/24 PhilippeDidier <philippedidier at laposte.net>:
> Sander Lepik a écrit :
>> 24.11.2012 18:55, PhilippeDidier kirjutas:
>>> NO !
>>> You mean someone is paid and create a third repo for something Mageia
>>> doesn't want to import...
>>>
>>> If that thing brings a mess into Mageia,  we will see bug reports in
>>> bugzilla and lot of time lost by Mageia bug-triagers, devs, packagers,
>>> before discovering that is not a Mageia problem but that this stuff
>>> brought some shit !
>>> We suffer of lack of time... and this will consume more time from
>>> voluntary contributors to repair something badly done by someone that
>>> was paid for it !
>> Well, we have such repos already today and you can't stop something like that. But you saw
>> my example the wrong way. Mageia doesn't have to support those repos and problems caused by
>> such packages.
> That has been a problem for Mandrake with Thac repo, a problem for
> Mandriva with MIB repo... and sometimes it took a long (wasted) time to
> understand that a reported bug was induced by something imported from
> third repo.
> NB plf repo was something else : mandriva devs worked on it !

Still, we can't prevent that *. So perhaps should we:
 - analyse it and find a clear model that explains it, so we can
change what could be changed;
 - even embrace it, that is, have a strategy to have more such
external repositories to merge back into ours, or to better
tag/mark/recognize what can come from something we do support as
Mageia (because we produced it, or because it matches our
requirements) and from something we don't.

* it's a symptom that means that most of Mageia (as a whole product)
works for some people, but some parts of it don't (so they
duplicate/manage things on their own to make it quick, or more
controlled for them).

Still. The bottom line of having calls for bounties, people ready to
pay to have some requests in Mageia answered in a more controlled way,
is perfectly fine. Having them including in their requirements that
the work be merged into (if possible), or made available to the parent
project is even better.