[Mageia-dev] Can't win - or, best of both worlds . . .!

John Balcaen mikala at mageia.org
Sat Nov 24 21:38:48 CET 2012

2012/11/24 Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com>

> On 11/24/2012 02:59 PM, John Balcaen wrote:
>

>> Suggest here: drop all ifcfg configuration files and switch to keyfile
>> plugin.
>>

> OK, in the spirit of Anne's original question, can you tell us exactly
> what the keyfile plugin is and does, and how to use it ? I'll volunteer to
> do a fresh install and test it.

The keyfile plugin as said earlier is the default & native plugin to use
with networkmanager [1]
In order to introduce nm on distribution using ifcfg files (redhat/fedora)
the ifcfg-rh plugin has been wrote to read & make nm able to use them (&
avoid interferences between nm & the « old » scripts).
So to use it you simply need to configure networkmanager by
editing /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

For example on my workstation i've got :
cat NetworkManager.conf
[main]
plugins=keyfile
dns=dnsmasq

[keyfile]
hostname=aker.cauldron.lan.littleboboy.net

it's mean that i'm using the keyfile plugin (read [1] or
man NetworkManager.conf for more details) & ask nm to to also start dnsmasq
for me.
I also setup the hostname to set in nm in the keyfile section.

There's also no need to do a « fresh » install to test/use it.

[1] https://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings

--
Balcaen John
Jabber-id: mikala at jabber.littleboboy.net