[Mageia-dev] Repo down: repository fallback by default...

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:50:54 CET 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2012/11/26 Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >

> > On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to install some software and get the error:
> >> <<
> >>  L'installation a échoué, certains fichiers sont manquants :
> >>
> >> rsync://
> ftp.tsukuba.wide.ad.jp/mageia/distrib/2/x86_64/media/tainted/release/mencoder-1.0-1.rc4.0.r34578.9.mga2.tainted.x86_64.rpm
> >> Vous devriez mettre à jour votre base de données urpmi.
> >>
> >> Essayer de continuer néanmoins ?
> >> >>
> >> (basically the rsync failed)
> >>
> >> So I guess the repo is down, hopefully temporarily. I went to the
> >> "configure media sources" UI and "add a specific media mirror" (was
> using
> >> the $MIRRORLIST default until now).
> >>
> >> [Side-note: the other mirror in Japan also had faulty tainted repos. I
> >> wonder if there is a problem with Japan politics maybe about tainted
> >> softwares?]
> >>

> > About my side note, I realize today that Japanese servers seem still down
> > (or "again"? Since I used alternate servers since this problem I had
> weeks
> > ago, I don't know). Have Mageia's Japanese contributor abandonned Mageia?
> > Thanks.
>
> The mirror is not down, you are using a wrong address. The correct
> address for the Mageia mirror is
> ftp.tsukuba.wide.ad.jp/Linux/mageia/distrib/2/
> (in your link the /Linux/ is missing)

Thanks for the answer. That was a copy-paste I did at the time though, so
it was definitely not me who explicitely wrote it. If I remember, this one
was what gave me the $MIRRORLIST at the time. Anyway that was not this
mirror I was speaking about in my email just now because it apparently
disappeared from the source management software! In the list of specific
mirror, there is now only 1 remaining Japanese mirror: JAIST.

I just tried it again, all "Tainted *" mirror from JAIST are broken (curl
fail). For instance:
http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Mageia/distrib/2/x86_64/media/tainted/release

As I said the other day, if the only broken mirrors are the tainted ones
(all of them, and none of the rest), that may be on purpose. Shouldn't
someone contact JAIST?

Jehan