[Mageia-dev] Bye Bye Mageia

Joseph Wang joequant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:07:31 CET 2012

If Mageia won't accept the work that I just did packaging cinnamon, then
bye,
bye Mageia.  I've been working pretty closely with the Fedora people in
getting
pyp2rpm working.   Pyp2rpm just went 1.0.0 and there was a mageia module
for it, but it looks like that someone else is going to have to maintain it.

Some parting words

1) You really need to do a better job communicating with new people.  I
spent
several weeks just waiting for someone to contact me, and it's been a pain
trying to in touch with the community.

2) I ended up packaging cinnamon for my own amusement.  I've gotten it to
work quite nicely on my machine.  One thing that annoys me on in my day
job is spending more effort trying to get something done than to just do it.

3) Something that you have to realize about volunteers is that volunteers
are
volunteers.  In my day job, I get paid a large amount of money so that I do
what the boss tells me to do.  Unless you have that sort of money, there is
no reason for my to take orders from you.  You might be able to persuade me
to do something by being nice and flattery always works, but remember that
I'm a volunteer, and you aren't the only project I can spend my time on.

4) I like to program because it's fun.  I like packaging stuff because it's
interesting.  If you make it so that it isn't fun and you don't pay me $$$$,
then there is no reason to do it.  At work, I have to take orders.  Boss
tells
me to do something and I don't do it, I get fired and I lose my $$$$.
Unless
you are paying me, there's no reason why I have to listen to you.

5) One reason I wanted to package cinnamon is that the cinnamon people
are *nice people*.  There is this annoying bug on my machine, but since they
are nice, I might just pull out the debugger and fix it.  The problem with
not
being *nice* is that if you push away newbies, then you don't have people
work on these things.

6) The big reason I haven't posted before is that I like to code.  I hate
politics.
I hate mailing list flames.  I hate discussions.  I just want to make
things work
on my machine.  I'll endure politics, mailing list flames, long winded
discussions
if there is a reason for it.  Rather than spending 12 hours trying to
discussion
whether to package cinnamon, I just rolled up my sleeves and I did it.
It's not
ready for "prime time" because there is an annoying bug involved with it,
but I was
planning on rolling up my sleeves and fixing that bug.

Anyway, gnome is in a death spiral

no volunteers -> more politics -> fewer volunteers -> even more politics

I've used Mageia long enough so that it would be a shame if it went into
the
same death spiral.  But it's not my problem.  I just want to have fun and
code.

Coding is fun.  Office politics isn't.  I'm looking for somewhere that I
can
code and play without office politics.  I was hoping that Mageia was that
place, but it looks like it isn't......