[Mageia-dev] Mailing-list archives and robots

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Mon Nov 26 15:52:17 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 03:51:11PM +0200, Sander Lepik wrote:
> I was trying to find something from dev-ml archives with google and
> found nothing. Then i checked our archives source and found '<META
> NAME="robots" CONTENT="index,nofollow">'- is there some good reason for
> "nofollow"? Or should i use something else to search our archives?

Normally you'd set nofollow on individual archived messages. The general
index page should NOT have "nofollow". This ensures that if some spam
arrives to an "free to post" mailing list (e.g. the sysadmin one), it
doesn't put the spam site higher in Google.

IMO this is good to do, and it also should indicate to Google that
you're not a spam site yourself (e.g. I assume Google lowers sites which
have loads of links to spam sites).

--
Regards,
Olav