[Mageia-dev] Cinnamon

Florent Monnier monnier.florent at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 16:09:47 CET 2012

2012/11/26, Joseph Wang <joequant on gmail>:
[...]
> So what do you want me to do?

I just discovered your problem while reading your email and its answers.
I'm also a volunteer just like you.
Not for Mageia but in other project I also did some work that have
never been accepted upstream. So I do understand that this is often
frustrating.
When this happens sometimes I'll put my work as a patch on my web
site, which makes me feel better and think that maybe I've not worked
for nothing.
Also some upstreams are happy to put packages on their own project
page, and provide .rpm or .deb or whatever just next to the links to
the sources. These things works fine when the software is not a
dependency for anything else. It maybe also a usefull way to provide
packages given that mageia is not a rolling release distro, if you are
close enough with the upstream you can provide your .rpm to them just
few days (or even the same day) after a new release, while with Mageia
you have to wait next mageia version.
If the upstream don't want that, please don't say they are anoying
people, but just then put it on your own website. Create a basic
webpage with keywords that search engines will find, and everthing
will be fine. Keep in mind that this how free software works, this is
the bazaar. OK you won't be able to fork Mageia on your own alone, but
providing alternative things on your side is just fine.
Anyway don't do any affective blackmail but rather try to addopt a
constructive behavior.