[Mageia-dev] GStreamer packaging (was: Re: rpmsrate-raw changes related to GNOME)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Nov 26 16:15:37 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 26/11/12 15:03 did gyre and gimble:
> 1. gstreamer1.0-pulse in Audio category (in addition to gstreamer0.10-pulse!)
>    ==> guessing gstreamer0.10 might be around for a while, not sure

Just a followup to this and some other gst related discussions of late,
should we perhaps think about simplifying the gstreamer packaging a bit.

We're quite subpackage-y at the moment. I accept this allows to keep an
install minimal and avoids pulling in dependant libs etc, but I think in
95-99% (guess) of cases, this isn't needed.

e.g. it's pretty much impossible these days to install things without
libpulse, so why bother separating out the gst-pulse plugin from -good
generally? Likewise for several other containers and codecs.

Maybe just something to do with the gst1.0 packages - a fresh start?

Just a thought as I'm not the maintainer here :)