[Mageia-dev] Cinnamon

Joseph Wang joequant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:11:03 CET 2012

Whew!!!!

Now for something substantive....  Here is what I found out packaging
cinnamon, and the major bugs
and issues.....  Again, it's not ready for Mageia 3, but I'd like to
get it into cauldron updates_testing
so people can test it out.....  Here are the major issues.

1) IMHO, it's a lot nicer UI than Gnome 3.  It's basically a more
advanced, prettier Gnome 2, with
a KDE-ish menu.

2) It's actually pretty easy to drop in.  There are three RPMS, and
they just sit on top of Gnome 3.
The dependencies are all one way (i.e. cinnamon depends on Gnome 3,
but nothing depends on
cinnamon)  The hard part with dealing with the install was to get the
startup commands right.

3) There is unfortunately a big bug in that if you click on the menu
on some platforms, it takes
forever to start up.  My guess is that there is an opengl issue in
which some platforms use software
rendering.  That makes it unusable as an immediate replacement.

4) It's possible to override the menu with alternatives menus, and
it's a very open language for
new themes and applets.  Unfortunately, it's a real pain to install
themes and applets.  One thing
that I was going to look into was to have a more standard installation
mechanism.