[Mageia-dev] Bye Bye Mageia

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Nov 26 20:18:11 CET 2012

Joseph Wang skrev 26.11.2012 20:25:

> My assumption was that as a community driven project, there would be
> some mechanism
> for adding new packages to the system, and that I wouldn't have to
> worry about getting
> permission, I would just do it.  Fedora already has a mechanism for
> doing that, but sense
> I was already using Mageia, I had thought that Mageia would be at
> least as open as
> Fedora, and that it would be easy to add large numbers of new packages.
>
> Now if I'm mistaken about this, and this is not the goal of the Mageia
> maintainers, then
> I just need to find some other platform to work on.

There is a simple mechanism mostly... :)

We usually dont object to people adding new stuff to the repos,
as long as they follow our packaging policy and media rules.

But in the cinnamon case we decided we dont want it in official
repos for now because of the extra problems it would introduce
at this point...

And the reason you need to do the "review process" part currently,
is because you are currently an packager in training, something
every new Mageia maintainer has has to go through in order to
learn about Mageia packaging rules and best practices...

When your packaging mentor consider you to be ready, he will
request that we promote your account to full packager status
wich means you will be able to submit packages yourself and
maintain them according the the policys we have in place.

--
Thomas