[Mageia-dev] [ANN] [RFC] support for deltarpms in urpmi

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Nov 28 00:08:54 CET 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 22:56 +0100, zezinho wrote:
> Em 27-11-2012 17:10, Thierry Vignaud escreveu:

[...]
> > - having urpmi select the right package
> >    o either deltarpm if there's one for installed_version ->  update_version path
> >    o or regular update package else

> Well, we should not provide both, or delta rpm is useless

delta rpm would be awesome for those of us with limited bandwidth.

Dial-up modems are still common out here.

Another possibility might be a service that gets told which package
version you have, and which you want, and tries to build a delta rpm,
keeping a cache; the cache could be pre-populated with the most common
entries. But that would necessitate the ability to run a program on the
mirror.

Liam