[Mageia-dev] NetworkManager vs initscripts

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Nov 28 14:33:05 CET 2012

On 11/28/2012 08:23 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> On Wednesday 28. November 2012 14.17, Frank Griffin wrote:
>> NM doesn't need ifcfg files
> But udev or some other proccess does. My point was to add the line to the ifcfg files in order to prevent the other proccesses from fighting with NM for controll over the network interfaces, when the interface is beeing setup with NM.

It's kind of backwards.  NM expects to be in control of everything by
default rather than to coexist with initscripts.  If it was, there'd be
no ifcfg files.  If it sees an ifcfg file and it contains
NM_CONTROLLED=NO, then it leaves the interface alone.

At the time udev runs, it doesn't have any way to know that an interface
is controlled by NM unless someone has created an ifcfg file with
NM_CONTROLLED=YES.  With no file there, creating a file containing YES
would be useless because with no file there at all, NM will grab the
interface anyway.

It's sort of a catch-22.  udev is assuming that ifplugd is the default
because on MGA3 that is true.  NM is assuming that *it* is the default
because that's how it was designed.