[Mageia-dev] cauldron state, and dependencies handling

Florent Monnier monnier.florent at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:59:58 CET 2012

2012/11/28, Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org>:
> Florent Monnier skrev 28.11.2012 20:39:
>> 2012/11/28, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Please tell why you rebuild
>>> eg: "rebuild for new ocaml" or whatever instead of "no change..."
>>
>> malo (other ocaml packager) suggests me to put "rebuild for Beta 1"
>>
>> but this is the goal, not the origine,
>> the reason is because a dependency was rebuild.
>> in ocaml if a dependency is rebuild, all the dependents and
>> sub-dependents have to be rebuild.
>>
>> So which log message would you prefer:
>>
>> - rebuild for Beta 1
>
> this one:
>
>> - rebuild because dependency rebuilt
>
> as it's the real reason.
>
> or more like:
>
> - rebuild for new ocaml
>
> (or wichever package "triggered" the need for rebuild)

So it should have been:
- rebuild for new xmlm

I do have a question related to this issue:

Should ocaml libs in Cauldron be maintained usable?

For example if I've rebuild xmlm 3 months ago, there is nothing to
change in xtmpl, so currently I just wait before Mageia's release to
rebuild all that needs to be.

That means that during these 3 months, xtmpls didn't worked in Cauldron.
Is that bad?

=========

In case that's bad, I'm wondering how I should handle this.
- I can just icrem the mkrel of all ocaml libs.
(I can write the script to do this in 5 minutes.)

- I can create a dependency graph, so when I rebuilt xmlm 3 months
ago, I can use the dependcy graph to know the exhaustive list of
dependents that also need to be rebuild.
(I can write the script to do this in maybe 1 evening)

--
Cheers