[Mageia-dev] Utter frustration

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 29 23:35:01 CET 2012

On 11/29/2012 11:58 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> OK, done that.  As you expected, it returned
>
> /usr/lib/libpowerdevilcore.so.0.1.0
> /usr/lib/packagekitd
> /usr/lib/libpolkit-qt-core-1.so.1.103.0
> /usr/bin/xdm
> /usr/bin/gnome-session
>
> So what do I do now?  They don't look like things that can just be
> removed?  usr/lib/libpolkit-qt-core-1.so.1.103.0 looks the most likely
> to be connected with my problem.
>
> Sorry to bang on about this, but at present I can't shut down the
> netbook other than by hitting the power switch.  I really need to be
> able to change those settings before I go away for a few days, this
> weekend.
I don't think anything's going to get done in that timeframe, but
CTRL-ALT-{R,S,E,I,U,B} will get you through the weekend.

What I would do at this point, for each of these, one by one, is

a) Record their current permissions
b) Change the permissions to make them writable to you (777 will do nicely).
c) Open the file in a binary editor like Okteta.  Find every instance of
the org.xxx search string and modify the name in some visible way, e. g.
ConsoleKit -> XonsoleKit
d) Retry your failing case and see if the message you get changes
accordingly
e) Revert the change

Since it can't find what it wants anyway, this shouldn't affect your
system operation.  but it will expose the guilty file(s).  Then, use
rpmdrake Search on File Names to find the owning package for each
culprit, and file a bug against it saying that the such-and-such file is
looking for ConsoleKit.

Either the package(s) were never converted to use something else, or
they've been built incorrectly.

I'd suggest installing ConsoleKit, but god only knows what that would
screw up as regards its replacement, so it isn't something you'd want to
do before the weekend :-)