[Mageia-dev] The shiny new Control Center

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:23:50 CEST 2012

2012/10/1 Steven Tucker <tuxta2 at gmail.com>:
> On 01/10/12 04:49, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2012-09-30 at 20:13 +0200, Angelo Naselli wrote:
>>
>>> Well to be honest that has been already discussed via irc,
>>> and it seems to be as you said a good thing, the real
>>> question is how to call it :)
>>
>> The usual choices are
>> 1. an acronym few people will remember
>>     e.g. miascm (multi-interface system control module)
>>
>> 2. a cute name with no relation to function
>>     e.g. WandWaver
>>
>> 3. a name that suggests purpose, perhaps with an abbreviation for the
>> commandline
>>     e.g. Configuration and User Management
>>     and, er, "conman" as a command (not cum, I think).
>>
>> I can review the Perl code a little if it helps - my goal with Perl is
>> always to write something that can be read and changed later, even if
>> it's less "Perl-like" as a result. E.g. send me a file or two.
>>
>> Liam
>>
> Thank you Liam, I will take you up on that once I get a little bit more
> done.
> I haven't taken on doing things the "Perl way" for the very reasons you
> state (loops for example are more C like).

Pardon me for jumping in although I'm not a developer.

I agree that for the time being (as long as the "old" mcc is in the
repos) a different name is unavoidable, even if it's just "mcc2". But
when a switch to the new version this new version should inherit the
name "Mageia Control Center/Centre". The main reason for that: This
unique type of "configuration mall" has been one feature which has
been regarded as one of the most valued of Mandake/Mandriva/Mageia in
all reviews and all comments about the distribution. Over 10 years it
has been a recognized landmark for these distributions. As such it
should remain under the same name.

The name will neither make it more difficult nor more easy for other
distributions to use it (as has been said in this thread), we also
have tools or whatever adopted from other distributions (like Fedora)
and they are still carrying their name, even with "fedora" as prefix.

--
wobo