[Mageia-dev] The shiny new Control Center

Frederic Janssens fjanss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 15:13:38 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Steven Tucker <tuxta2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/10/12 17:40, Angelo Naselli wrote:
>

>>  Okay, so I am in favour of a new name, calling it mcc2 has already
> caused confusion, so a new name more accurately portrays the program. Also
> if Mageia were not to take it up, a more generic name would allow others to
> more easily take it on.
>
> So the following are some suggestions, including keeping the current name.
> Can we do some sort of poll ??
>
>     Name                                   --    launcher
>
> 1. Admin Panel                         --  apanel
> 2. Configuration Panel              --  copanel
> 3. Mageia Configuration Panel   --  mcp
> 4. Mageia Administration Panel  --  map
> 5. Free Panel   --  fpanel
> 6. Mageia Control Center  --  mcc  -- until it replaces the existing one
> ->> mcc2 or mcc-new or mcc-libyui
>
> I have put them in the order I prefer.

I would be in favor of

1. Admin Panel                         --  apanel

It better describes what it is : a panel to do the things that need admin
permission.
And so 'explains', without having to go into the details, to non technical
users why there are two graphical tools for configuration (the other being
the kde configuration tool in my case) and which one does what.

It can be combined with what Angelo Naselli said :

"Good point, but as a developer i could say we can make it
configurable. I mean a generic panel can have the name into its
configuration file and shown on title, while to run it a script
called mcc can run "generic_panel -c mcc.conf" for instance,
we can also fix that as default forcing mageia behaviour :)"

if and when it is adopted as the default Mageia tool.
(but for the reasons I gave above, I think "Admin Panel" is better)

If you have any more suggestions we can add them.

--

Frederic