[Mageia-dev] Any progress on the NFS mount problem? - One step further

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 17:26:50 CEST 2012

On Monday 01 Oct 2012 13:18:36 Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Le 22/09/2012 21:16, Anne Wilson a écrit :
>> udp        0      0 *:nfs                       *:*
>>
>> unfsd
>
> Ouch... You're running an obsolete alternative nfs server. You
> should uninstall the unfs3 package, and this package should get
> removed
from
> the distribution.
>
> To summarize, here are the mandatory steps: - check you have
> nfs-utils-clients installed on clients - check you have
> nfs-utils-clients and nfs-utils installed on server - check
> rpcbind, and nfs-common services are running on clients - check
> rpcbind, nfs-common and nfs-server services are running on
the
> server

Not sure of the command-line for checking things that don't respond to
"service whatever status", but MCC says all those services are running
on the server.  However -

> Once done, check with rpcinfo -s <address> what is actually running

on
> each host.

That looks worrying!

[root at borg2 ~]#  rpcinfo -s 192.168.0.40  ##The nfs server
   program version(s) netid(s)                         service     owner
    100000  2,3,4     local,udp,tcp                    portmapper
superuser
    100024  1         tcp,udp                          status
superuser
    100021  4,3,1     tcp,udp                          nlockmgr
superuser
[root at borg2 ~]#
[root at borg2 ~]#  rpcinfo -s 192.168.0.20
   program version(s) netid(s)                         service     owner
    100000  2,3,4     local,udp,tcp,udp6,tcp6          portmapper
superuser
    100024  1         tcp6,udp6,tcp,udp                status
superuser
    100021  4,3,1     tcp6,udp6,tcp,udp                nlockmgr
superuser
    100003  4,3,2     udp6,tcp6,udp,tcp                nfs
superuser
    100227  3,2       udp6,tcp6,udp,tcp                nfs_acl
superuser
    100005  3,2,1     tcp6,udp6,tcp,udp                mountd
superuser

I did try an experimental export on the laptop (.20) but it looks as
though there are real problems on the server.  I wonder whether auto-
orphans is responsible for this, as it was when I lost my X-server.  I
don't normally use it, but did, immediately after the big update
following my holiday.

> Now, to ensure usage of NFSv4 instead of obsolete NFSv3: - check
> every host is configured to run rpc.idmapd, meaning NEED_IDMAPD=yes
> in /etc/sysconfig/nfs-common

Done

> - check your server export a root filesystem, using fsid=0 options
> in its /etc/exports configuration file

Added that - how do I tell it to ignore the old exports and act on
those in /etc/exports?  I can't find my notes about that.

> - drop all your legacy nfs options, such as wsize and rsize from
> your mount options

Done - the lines now match the working QNAS mounts, eg

192.168.0.40:/home /mnt/borg2/home nfs user,timeo-14 0 0

> Last, you'd better use autofs to mount those filesystems on
> demand, rather than hardcoding them in /etc/fstab, which avoid to
> relies on server availability during the boot.

Replace nfs with autofs in those lines?

Thanks for working with me on this

Anne