[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:19:26 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM, PhilippeDidier
<philippedidier at laposte.net> wrote:

> Look at the closed bugs containing the word faac... there are other
> programs than cinerella

But none as mature, as powerful. But that's beside the point anyway.

> Anyway Blogdrake repo proposes a faac rpm ...

Never heard of blogdrake, seems to be a Spanish-only site...

I don't understand the difference between tainted and non-free anyway
(without reading definitions what goes into what repo), and I guess
most users don't either.

and BTW:
http://www.mageia.org/en/1/notes/ reads:
######
The Tainted repository includes packages under various licenses, free
and nonfree ones, but the main criteria for packages in this
repository is that they may infringe patents and copyright laws in
some countries in the world (e.g. multimedia codecs needed to play
various audio/video files, packages needed to play commercial video
DVD… etc);
[...]
######
So I absolutely don't understand why there is so much fuzz about this
topic/so much contradiction. There already was a sane definition.

non-free is a misnomer. It should be named after what the mass of
users cares about, whether it is free & "safe" to use or whether it
might cause problems.

So tainted is the right repo to put it in.

Change the definition back to that of Mageia 1 and you're done.

ciao
Christian