[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:58:03 CEST 2012

2012/10/2 James Kerr <jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk>:
> On 02/10/2012 12:26, Frank Griffin wrote:
>
>> At least for my part, I always viewed tainted as being the equivalent of
>> PLF,
>

> PLF had both free and non-free repo's.
>
> If you include both free and non-free in tainted, which is probably the
> "least bad" solution, then there needs to be a way for FOSS enthusiasts (who
> choose to do so) to avoid the non-free packages - perhaps a statement in the
> package description would suffice.

Well, are you saying that tainted includes free packages although they
are subject to a patent? 'cause that's the only reason I could think
of a FOSS enthousiast would like them to be separated from the
non-free packages in "tainted". Or the other way 'round.
IMHO a package is "not free" anyway as soon as it qualifies for
"tainted" - whatever reason.

That's why I call the distinction "beaurocratic" and the discussion "academic"

--
wobo