[Mageia-dev] Final set of isos for Mageia 3

Pierre-Malo Deniélou pierre-malo.denielou at rhul.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 00:26:24 CEST 2012

Le 02/10/12 16:58,Anne Nicolas nous adresse ces quelques mots :
> Hi there
>
> So as planned when starting discussion, here is the final set of isos
> that will be built for Mageia 3. We have listed all the proposals and
> explanations (from both this ML and forums) to find a list that would
> satisfy most of Mageia users.
>
> Here is the list (Thanks MrsB for doing it first :) ):
>
> 2 liveCDs:
>
>  - GNOME 700M i586 - english only - Nonfree
>  - KDE   700M i586 - english only - Nonfree
>
> These are mainly targetted for distribution during events or for Newspapers

The target audience is not too little to justify the extra QA?
Is it worth having them at all?
(Note that I'm among the ones who still uses CDs, a CD-RW)

If we keep them, we should show them as unimportant from a marketing
point of view (i.e. last in the list of media).
Otherwise the headlines will be "Mageia gives up on internationalization
for Mageia 3" or "Mageia gives up on x86_64 for Mageia 3".
The headlines should be "Mageia turns to LiveDVDs for Mageia 3".

> 4 liveDVDs:
>
>  - GNOME DVD i586   - all locales - Nonfree
>  - GNOME DVD x86_64 - all locales - Nonfree
>  - KDE   DVD i586   - all locales - Nonfree
>  - KDE   DVD x86_64 - all locales - Nonfree

These are now the main media then.

> Classic Installation ISOs
>
>  - LXDE DualCD - all locales - Free only
>  - DVD i586    - all locales - Free/Nonfree
>  - DVD x86_64  - all locales - Free/Nonfree
>
> DVDs will propose by default 100% free software installation. Users will
> be asked if he wants to use non free drivers. This is still to be done
> inside drakx installer and will not be available yet for alpha 2 release.

My 2 cts.
--
Malo