[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:21:10 CEST 2012

2012/10/4 Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com>:
> On 10/04/2012 10:54 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>>
>> Because software have bugs, even filters, whereas physical separation is
>> not prone to the same errors.
>

> Sure it is.  See my response to Wolfgang.
>

>>> And if they don't trust us, they're reading the license themselves
>>> anyway.
>>
>> That's not an easy task for commandline users. "urpmq -i foo" does not
>> show the license tag.
>>

> I didn't say it was easy, I said that anyone strongly interested in this who
> doesn't trust us to get it right will be doing it, easy or hard.

You do not seem to understand different levels in trust. There is no
black OR white, rather shades of black and shades of white. Of course
there is some trust in the packagers to place packages correctly in
different branches depending on the licenses. But having all
free/non-free packages in one repo, separated just by a software
filter adds an additional level of trust in the packagers AND in the
software filter.

Well, enough said. I think I have stated my position and the reasons,
I am not part of the decision making group anyway.

--
wobo