[Mageia-dev] GNOME llvmpipe rendering in gnome-session-3.6.0-2.mga3

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Tue Oct 9 06:08:42 CEST 2012

zago a écrit :
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 12:32:16PM -0400, andre999 wrote:
>> Olav Vitters a écrit :

>>> I've unblacklisted llvmpipe like Fedora has done for a few releases. In
>>> some cases I noticed my normal driver not working (reason unknown), so
>>> in case GNOME is sometimes slow, check if it isn't rendering using
>>> llvmpipe.
>>>
>> On my system, running mga2, unblacklisting llvmpipe (so as to use
>> regular gnome3, instead of classic/fallback mode) makes all display
>> in regular gnome3 run extremely slow.

This includes the virtual console, or scrolling in gedit, neither of
which has any need for accelerated display.

>> It must be that llvmpipe is used for all display, even when
>> acceleration isn't indicated.
>
> Hmm, that is not good. I'll test for a few days, otherwise I'll revert.
>
> What is reported in System Settings → Details under Graphics? llvmpipe
> or something else?

It says
"Carte graphique  Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)"

Strangely enough, I have now uninstalled llvmpipe and am running gnome3
in fallback/classic mode.
But it said the same thing before uninstalling.
I guess that the message is only set/reset under regular gnome.
I don't think classic mode was slow with llvmpipe installed, but
uninstalled it since llvmpipe was in the libllvm-devel package (version
3.0 on mga2), which is huge (1 G in size).
The equivalent package on fedora is apparently llvm-devel.
(I uninstalled it to leave more space on /.)

>> BTW, regular gnome3 might well be called "tablet mode".  A lot of
>> extensions have been developped to revert to a display more like
>> gnome2.
>
> I am not using a tablet and suggest you first try it on a tablet.

My wife has a tablet-like android computer.  The default regular gnome3
has the same appearance (and awkwardness to quickly access applications).
Sorry, but don't have access to a tablet powerful enough to run gnome3.
I looked at a number of extensions, and it was surprising how many were
oriented to bringing back a more gnome2-like (and/or less tablet-like)
appearance.
So there are already solutions for most of the appearance problems.
(And if necessary, I'll modify some to regain a convenient environment.)

I'm surprised at the performance problems of llvmpipe.  Although my cpu
is 32-bit and 64-bit is recommended, it does have the recommended sse2
function.
See http://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html

(It has taken me ages to get gnome3 -- classic -- in a usable state.
Next to regain access to svn.)

--
André