[Mageia-dev] Removing ConsoleKit

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Oct 19 11:38:59 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and JA Magallón at 19/10/12 00:24 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi...
>
> As this page reads
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit
>
> CK is not maintaned anymore, it is deprecated.
>
> We can not remove the packages because of dependencies:
>
> werewolf:~# urpmq --whatrequires consolekit consolekit-x11 lib64consolekit0
> accountsservice
> consolekit
> consolekit-x11
> elsa
> kdm
> lib64consolekit-devel
> lib64consolekit0
> lxdm
> polkit
> slim
> xinit
>
> but in the meantime I have disabled it completely following this:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=246130
>
> and disabling it in systemctl.
>
> Everything seems to work fine, I have noticed no problem.
> Will it be possible to build the above packages without CK support and
> with systemd-enabled options it they are there ?
> So mga3 will be a CK-free edition ;)

It would certainly be nice!

I'm not 100% sure the various DMs can be built without consolekit
support easily, but I don't think it's super problematic to rip it out
in a patch. If there is specific consolekit support in the DMs then it
will likely need to be replaced with logind support. I know there are
patches for some of them if we don't include it by default.