[Mageia-dev] Deprecating pm-utils

Luc Menut lmenut at free.fr
Mon Oct 22 23:57:08 CEST 2012

Le 17/10/2012 00:04, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> I've already dropped the requirement from upower and I suspect that kde
> these days also uses upower for suspend/resume (can someone please test
> for me? Just remove pm-utils with --nodeps and make sure everything
> still works is a nice easy test :D)

upower 0.9.18 still requires pm-utils for some features:

- up_backend_supports_sleep_state (src/linux/up-backend.c line 360)
calls /usr/bin/pm-is-supported to determine if suspend or hibernate are
available on the system. upower uses this to reply to dbus call on
org.freedesktop.UPower.CanSuspend or .CanHibernate.
Without pm-utils, org.freedesktop.UPower.CanSuspend or .CanHibernate
always return false.
At startup, KDE asks org.freedesktop.UPower.CanSuspend and .CanHibernate
to know if, respectively, suspend and hibernate are possible on the
system. So, without pm-utils installed, suspend and hibernate entries
are not available in KDE's menus and applets (it's needed to reboot
after the removal of pm-utils).

- up_backend_get_powersave_command (src/linux/up-backend.c line 615)
calls /usr/sbin/pm-powersave to apply powersave's adjustments.

So, we should re-add the Requires pm-utils in upower for now (btw,
Fedora still has this requirement).

regards,
Luc

--