[Mageia-dev] fdisk or gparted

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Oct 26 10:24:55 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Richard Couture at 26/10/12 00:33 did gyre and gimble:
> On another note, I'm getting used to system-D and I note that inittab is
> more or less useless.

Yup, it's not even read now.

> I am trying to set my machine, MGA-2, to boot without graphics until
> such time as I uninstall Xorg.
>  systemctl disable dm.service tells me that there is no such service.
>  chkconfig calls systemctl ...

Yeah, this is a bit rubbish still. dm.service is just a symlink to mask
the real name of the service but the error message helpfully doesn't
hint at that. There was a discussion with a proposal to make this much
better upstream just a couple days ago so it'll probably get better over
time.

For various reasons I won't go into here (it's on the upstream
discussion) enabling/disabling services via their aliases is not a great
idea. More meta info is certainly needed tho'!

> How do I tell the system that yes graphics are installed and NO I don't
> want to see them on boot??????

So in order to see more info, you can do "systemctl status dm.service"
This will tell you the *real* name of the service: which in this case is
prefdm.service:

[colin at jimmy code (master)]$ systemctl status dm.service
prefdm.service - Display Manager
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/prefdm.service; static)
	  Active: active (running) since Tue, 2012-10-23 10:54:17 BST; 2 days ago

So normally I would say just run "systemctl disable prefdm.service"
should do the trick but if you look at the output above carefully, this
is actually a "static" service. This means it cannot be enabled/disabled
separately. This will eventually change (as in the long term we'll
transition to separate services for each of the desktop DMs
(gdm.service, kdm.service etc.).

Anyway, for now it's a hard requirement of graphical.target.

So long story short, you need to set your default.target to point at
multi-user.target rather than graphical.target.

You can use one of the utilities in drakxtools (I forget which) or you
can simply issue:

ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/default.target

(drop the leading "/usr" if on mga2).

HTHs