[Mageia-dev] GDM Configuration

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Oct 29 18:43:26 CET 2012

I was looking around to figure out how to enable XDMCP support in GDM,
and noticed something strange.

In the GNOME site GDM3 documentation, they give several options for GDM
configuration none of which seem to exist in cauldron.

An example is given of using gconf-edit to access apps/gdm, but no such
key exists.  Mention is made of using a "gdm3setup" executable that we
don't seem to have.

Mention is made of "gdm" directories in various locations under
/usr/share and /etc which we don't seem to have, and of enabling XDMCP
by setting "Enable=true" in a file called daemon.conf, but the only
daemon.conf we have is in /etc/pulse.

I did find /usr/share/X11/dm.d/20gdm.conf and
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/gdm.conf, but neither of these seem to have
anything to do with XDMCP.

I did find a barebones /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf which had an empty
[Xdmcp] section, but adding Enable=true here had no effect on getting
the GDM main dropdown to show a Remote Login option.  It did, however,
get the GDM server to export the host as eligible for XDMCP, and accept
a logon.  However, the GDM screen it puts up has no option to close the
connection, or anything else indicating that it is a remote login.

What do we do in MGA to enable GDM as an XDMCP client, or configure it
in general ?