[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release kernel-3.6.4-1.mga3

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Oct 30 03:38:54 CET 2012

30.10.2012 04:24, Charles A Edwards skrev:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 22:38:06 +0200
> Thomas Backlund wrote:
>
>>> Booting this kernel all I get is a black screen.
>>> Same occurs if I try to boot linus-3.6.4.
>>>
>>> Server-3.6.3 still boots normally.
>>
>> If you revert this one:
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=commit;h=54ce8ce298f382a06186cb4672ad6aa090b050b6
>>
>> Does it boot properly then ?
>

> Are you sure that is the correct commit?
>
> It dealt with memory holes above 4GB
> (arch/x86/kernel/setup.c) and the commit was not included
> in the linux-3.6.tar.xz from the 3.6.4 src rpm.

Yep.

Turns out it did more than the commit message states,
it caused regressions with a misdetection of memory on some systems,
rendering them unbootable...

There is atleast 3 fixes for the issues this patch created queued in the
upcoming 3.6.5...

> Just to clarify my back screen error...
> When attempting to boot any of the mga 3.6.4 kernels
> I get
> "Decompressing Linux ... Parsing ELF ... done"
> "Booting the kernel"
> "-"
>
> and it hangs there with the flashing prompt.

Of course the bug could be another one too, but that one was the first
that came to mind....

--
Thomas