[Mageia-dev] make -l ?

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 01:18:41 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Jose Jorge <lists.jjorge at free.fr> wrote:
> Le 31/08/2012 11:40, Pascal Terjan a écrit :
>
>> Currently %make is expanded to make -j<nb cpu>
>>
>> I'd like it to be replaced with make -l<nb cpu>
>>

> Some activities, like USB transfers are seen as huge system load (I often
> get more than 4 on a monocpu system, while is CPU is idle to compile. So I
> think we may end with a side effect that build time will be longer....

Currently I see the following cases:
- 1 big job with parallel makefile (like kernel), it will probably run
more builds in parallel as building 24 .o does not cause a load of 24
- 2 big jobs with parallel makefile, it will probably reduce things as
currently each of them run 24 builds in parallel, leading to a load of
about 40, now the load will be 24
- 1 big job and a small one: I am not sure there will be much change
- 1 or 2 small jobs: no change

And yes the load is not only the cpu, but that's a good thing. If we
have 40 processes trashing the disk it's better to not start more even
if we have 20 cpu idling

But yes it needs to be tested