[Mageia-dev] Update of the rpm group policy

Pierre-Malo Deniélou pierre-malo.denielou at rhul.ac.uk
Mon Sep 10 23:23:48 CEST 2012

Le 10/09/12 11:53,Barry Jackson nous adresse ces quelques mots :
> On 08/09/12 19:07, Pierre-Malo Deniélou wrote:
>

>> Any other suggestions for the groups?
>>

> gnuradio is development software for "software enabled radio", so
> Communications/Development
>
> Amateur Radio is needed as a group for packages like grig and xlog,
> so maybe:
> Communications/Amateur Radio
>
> cutecw is a Morse Code trainer aimed at radio amateurs so:
> Communications/Amateur Radio/Education
>
> zoneminder is currently in Video which is rather cluttered.
> I think Video needs sub-groups like:-
> Video/Players
> Video/Editors
> Video/Security
> Video/Format converters
> Video/Plug-ins

Doing changes like this would mean to go towards a more Suse-like
system, with hundreds of rpm package groups that each contain a few
packages.
That is one option, but it requires to updates the specs of several
thousands packages.

My proposal is more limited:
- let's split the groups that have obviously too many different packages
(Development/Other is an example) to the point that it is unpractical to
browse.
- let's create a handful of categories that (1) make sense for packages
that are currently in unrelated groups (motivated by security software
for example); and (2) complete existing subdivisions (so as not to have
to change the spec of too many packages)

Only creating a few groups also lessens the burden for icons and
translations.

With that in mind, I'm not sure this is a good idea to get so
fine-grained categories in Video, or communications, especially if it's
just for one package.
Maybe if we create a Security group, things like zoneminder can go
there. For amateur radio, in communication it's fine IMHO.
Communications has 138 packages, so it's reasonable.

> Also, why has gpg got it's own top level 'Public Keys' group which
> clutters rpmdrake - surely this should be somewhere down the System/..
> hierarchy?

The public key thing does not correspond to a rpm group. It's a rpmdrake
GUI choice of how to display keys AFAICT. Feel free to suggest to tv
another choice for the display :-).

Cheers,
--
Malo