[Mageia-dev] /run vs /var/run in configuration files

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:15:17 CEST 2012

Le 11/09/2012 12:06, Sander Lepik a écrit :
> 11.09.2012 12:53, Guillaume Rousse kirjutas:
>> Hello list.
>>
>> Since /usrmove, /run and /var/run is actually the same location on the
>> final running system. So, either can be used in actual configuration
>> files, and systemd unit files. But for consistency and comparaison
>> purpose, it would be better to enforce usage of one variant only.
>>
>> I initially started to use /run in a few packages, however I'm
>> considering reverting this practice for multiple reasons:
>> - fedora keep using /var/run, which makes comparaison harder
>> - it make backporting more difficult
>> - similar /lib vs /usr/lib case exist, and our %_unitdir macro, for
>> instance, uses the second form
>>
>> Any other thought on this topic ?
> I think we should convert to /run where possible. Else i don't see much
> point in usrmove. Backporting - don't think it will happen any time soon.
The /run - /var/run merge (/usrmove) is supposed to make the change
transparent for applications. Manually converting applications to
explicitely refers to the new location doesn't change its usefulness.

And you're confusing 'distributing packages' with 'rebuilding packages'.
I'm backporting packages everytime for my own usage...

--
BOFH excuse #79:

Look, buddy:  Windows 3.1 IS A General Protection Fault.