[Mageia-dev] Looking for a Packager mentor

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:29:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:34 AM, AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
> Op maandag 17 september 2012 05:12:11 schreef Jehan Pagès:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'll check later on the cinelerra mailing list if they ever plan to
>> change this dependency or if they is a way to install cinelerra
>> without faad. If not, I guess Mageia will never have it. That explains
>> why it seems that cinelerra is in PLF for Mandriva.
>
> actually, iinm, faad is not an issue, just faac is.
>
> faad is just patented (and is in tainted)
>
> faac is both patented and nonfree, and we didn't want to create 10 more
> repositories for just this one package...

I see. Just for the test, I tried to compile cinelerra without faac.
Because when I ran configure, it went to the end, with the message
"WARNING: Mandatory components are missing; compilation may fail!".
This warning is way less scary than usual missing dependencies so I
tested my chance.
But whatever, it failed anyway, as expected.

So I guess we won't have cinelerra. But I realy wonder why so many
programs are relying on a library which has such legal issues.
Thanks.

Jehan