[Mageia-dev] Problems with gnome-shell and polkit

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Mon Sep 24 12:50:39 CEST 2012

On 09/24/2012 12:42 AM, JA Magallón wrote:
> Hi...
>
> After latest updates GDM works again, but
> I get a sad-computer-screen-of-death when I try to log in in Gnome.
> The culprit seems to be the gnome-shell / polkit interaction.
> With startx from vconsole I get this on .xsession-errors:
>
> Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
>      JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Polkit.Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
>      JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject"'
>      JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/components/polkitAgent.js"'
>      JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '329'
>      JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"0 anonymous()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/components/polkitAgent.js:329
> 1 wrapper()@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:204
> 2 anonymous("name" = ""polkitAgent"")@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/components/__init__.js:56
> 3 wrapper(""polkitAgent"")@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:204
> 4 anonymous("name" = ""polkitAgent"", 1, [object Array])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/components/__init__.js:22
> 5 anonymous()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/components/__init__.js:21
> 6 wrapper()@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:204
> 7 anonymous()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/components/__init__.js:13
> 8 wrapper()@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:204
> 9 anonymous()@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:145
> 10 anonymous()@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:239
> 11 start()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:150
> 12 <TOP LEVEL>@<main>:1
> "'
>
> If I comment this in /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/components/polkitAgent.js, at least I
> can log in again:
>
>      enable: function() {
>          //this._native.register();
>      },
>
>      disable: function() {
>          //this._native.unregister();
>      },
>
> I have this versions of polkit:
>
> lib64polkit1_0-0.107-1.mga3 x86_64
> lib64polkit-gir1.0-0.107-1.mga3 x86_64
> polkit-0.107-1.mga3 x86_64
> polkit-desktop-policy-0.107-1.mga3 noarch
> polkit-gnome-0.105-1.mga2 x86_64
>
> Perhaps polkit-gnome is out of sync ?
>
> TIA

 From what I looked in Google, they are all the latest versions.
I solved the issue uncomenting those lines and adding this:

AutostartCondition=GNOME3 unless-session gnome

in /etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop, as
explained here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/gnome/polkit-gnome.html

Is this right for Mageia, or should the tags "GNOME3" and "gnome" changed
to something else ? Is this worth a bug report ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>        \               Winter is coming...