[Mageia-dev] RPM groups policy

Pierre-Malo Deniélou pierre-malo.denielou at rhul.ac.uk
Wed Sep 26 23:48:02 CEST 2012

Le 26/09/12 22:42,Anssi Hannula nous adresse ces quelques mots :
> 27.09.2012 00:27, Charles A Edwards kirjoitti:

>>> There is already a policy in place, and automated checks that enforce
>>> it. Everyone seems happy with it, so it does not change :-).
>>
>> Yes, but you will now be creating entries that Are Not
>> registered categories
>
> RPM groups are not related to menu categories in any way.

The RPM groups are seen only in rpmdrake (and smart and Mageia App Db),
as far as I understand. And they are package-based.

.desktop files (which are for menu entries) are for the desktop
applications. So one package can have several .desktop files (for each
application it contains) or none.

They are in effect unrelated. There was however a proposal to base the
new RPM groups on the freedektop standard for menu classification, but
it seems not to be a possibility (mainly because packages <> applications).

Cheers,
--
Malo