[Mageia-dev] Fwd: Re: M3 won't complete boot after update

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Sep 27 14:31:15 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 27/09/12 11:02 did gyre and gimble:
> On 27/09/12 10:15, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Does it work when forcing a runlevel 3 boot instead. This is
>> closer to a proper boot and likely a better testing environment. I
>> presume the getty's are showing for you in level 3?
>
> To my surprise, the same, text boot, to level 3 does complete perfectly.
>  There are a couple of gpg messages, though:
>
> gpg-agent: enabled debug flags: assuan
> can't connect to '/home/anne/.gnupg/log-socket': No such file or
> directory.

Curious but almost certainly unrelated.

> I don't know whether this is to be expected, or whether it has any
> relevance at this point.
>
> "systemctl show prefdm.service | grep ActiveEnter.*Mono" returns 0
>
> I presume this is to be expected at this stage.

Yes, this is expected on runlevel 3.

> "systemctl start prefdm.service"
> Failed to issue method call: Access denied

Yes, this is because you are not root.

> In case that has to be root, I used "su -" then the same command, but
> that just gives me a flashing cursor.

So it was just hanging there? It would be interesting to run systemctl
--no-block start prefdm.service and then run "systemctl status
prefdm.service" and see what kind of state it was in. i.e. is it
starting, or failed etc.

It should eventually fail after a couple minutes and perhaps give you
some interesting log message about it.

>> The results of this test are only really valuable if you do a
>> normal boot to runlevel 5 as this is when the service should be
>> started.
>
> Doesn't runlevel 5 attempt to launch the desktop, though?  I don't see
> how I can do that.

Indeed, the test there would be weather or not the system is even trying
to start the graphical desktop or something has prevent it getting that far.

I presume it does try and start a graphical desktop then? If so, can you
not switch to vt2 at this stage and get a login getty prompt to do some
debugging? (e.g. systemctl status prefdm.service and see what state it's
in etc.)

>> What I'm trying to work out here is if the job relating to
>> starting the prefdm.service had to be ejected due to some kind of
>> conflict.
>
>> If there is a conflict then the values will be 0 and this will
>> explain why your graphical desktop does not start.
>
> While the new reboot is completing, and while I remember - irqbalance
> daemon always fails to start.  I've assumed it's not relevant?

I noticed this yesterday too. It has a very incomplete systemd unit for
some reason. Will have to investigate who added that without checking it.

>> This is curious. Does this also occur at runelevel 3? What does
>> systemctl status prefdm.service tell you after it returns you to
>> the prompt?
>
> prefdm.service - Display Manager
>   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/prefdm.service: static)
>   Active: inactive (dead)
>   CGroup: name=systemd:/system/prefdm.service
>
>> Is there anything useful in the kdm log file about why kdm failed
>> to launch X11?
>
> Looks like an X11 problem.  The netbook is Atom N550, Intel everything.
>
> tail kdm.log
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> (EE)
> Please consult......
> (EE) Please also check the log file at "var/log/Xorg.0.log" for
> additional information
> (EE)
> Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Yup, it's an X problem plain and simple, ignore all the rest of the
systemd debugging options above.

> from Xorg.0.log file:
>
> LoadModule "v4l"
> Warning, couldn't open module v4l
> UnloadModule "v4l"
> Unloading v4l
> Failed to load module "v4l" (module does not exist, 0)
> LoadModule "glx"
> Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>   compiled for 1.13.0 module version = 1.0.0
>   ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 7.0
> AIGLX enabled
> LoadModule "intel"
> Warning: couldn't open module intel
> UnloadModule: "intel"
> Unloading intel
> Failed to load module "intel" (module does not exist, 0)
> No drivers available
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> Please consult.....
>
> Looks as though we've found it.

>> Plenty more to debug if you want to continue.
>
> Probably Intel graphics are less common than ATi and NVidia, but if
> there is a real problem here (as opposed to user-caused one) we should
> continue.  I can hold on a bit longer.  Just give me the next steps :-)

Oh I would disagree. I think intel is more common (but I base this on
very little evidence!) Certainly I *always* ensure I have an intel card
in anything I purchase. Their Open Source commitment is just much better
than the others IMO.

Are you sure the packages are all up-to-date? I guess this relates to
the recently(ish) updated X11 stack.

I presume you have the x11-driver-video-intel package installed?