[Mageia-dev] Fwd: Re: M3 won't complete boot after update

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Sep 27 15:37:30 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 27/09/12 13:40 did gyre and gimble:
> On 27/09/12 13:31, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> I presume you have the x11-driver-video-intel package installed?
>
> Would you believe it? It wasn't installed.  After the big update I did
> the automatic removal of orphans - I wonder if it got caught up in
> that, somehow.

Ahh a nice simple answer in the end!

I probably should have been more persistant in asking this question
initially (I think I did mention it in an earlier mail, but also asked a
whole bunch of other stuff in a "get all the debug possible all at once"
fit of pseudo efficiency! Kinda backfired a bit!

> So - I now have M3 working - with the display problem that I already
> knew about, but that's definitely KDE related, as a second user
> doesn't see it, so now I can work on that.
>
> The only remaining question is "how did a working system end up
> without a display driver?"

Well, it's perhaps this scenario:

x11-driver-video was installed initially and it pulled in lots of
individual display drivers, including intel.

Due to an xorg update, one of the drivers that is required by
x11-driver-video had to be removed (due to no longer being supported)
which resulted in x11-driver-video also being removed, thus orphaning
all the drivers it initially pulled in, including the intel one.

It's quite easy to happen really, this is one of the many reasons I
never, use the --auto-orphans feature. I use urpmq --not-available to do
my tidy ups.