[Mageia-dev] systemd and non-systemd services question

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Sep 27 17:23:20 CEST 2012

I have a cauldron system with the Oracle Express Edition (oracle-xe) RPM
installed.  This has worked nicely in the past, with the simple change
that the /etc/init.d/oracle-xe script needs to have LSB headers added.

I don't start the DB automatically at boot, but only when I need it for
testing.  Based on the creation date of the files in its log directory,
the last time it started was Aug 3.

The database no longer starts.  Running the sysv script produces the
message "Starting oracle-xe (via systemctl)", and produces no errors,
but nothing happens.  "systemctl list-units | grep oracle" shows the
status of oracle-xe.service as "loaded active exited", but no Oracle log
file is created.  Moreover, there is no oracle-xe.service file anywhere
on my root partition.

Issuing "systemctl start oracle-xe.service" issues no output. Running it
under strace shows an execve for /bin/systemctl, and later on an execve
for /usr/bin/systemd-tty-ask-password-agent, but very little else, and
nothing that even hints at actually trying to execute any oracle code.

It seems like sometime after Aug 3 systemd changed in some way as to
cause the failure.  The system was built (and the oracle-xe rpm
installed) on Aug 2, and never gets touched after install (and the
addition of LSB headers).   I haven't had to start it for a while, so I
can't get it more precise than that.

Any idea how to diagnose this ?  Does systemd keep logs anywhere ?