[Mageia-dev] M3 beta - where to report problems?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Apr 8 14:12:11 CEST 2013

On 04/07/2013 11:25 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Sorry to be a pain, Frank, but I've never been able to understand the
> Rescue mode.  Everything I've tried fails.  How exactly do you "mount
> your root partition"?  I went to Console, but every command I tried
> failed.  I then tried the mount "under /mnt" and messed up the link.
> For some reason, even after all this time, I never know exactly what
> it intends me to do.

OK, you have two choices.

if you have a local cauldron mirror or can do network installs, you can
boot isolinux or boot.iso and type "rescue" at the initial text screen
prompt.  From there on, you pick a mirror as you would for a network
install, and the only difference is that it will load the rescue kernel
and run the rescue application rather than the standard install.

Or, you can boot the classic install ISO, and one of the GUI choices
should be Rescue.

Once you get the Rescue panel, select Go to Console.  Then type
"drvinst", since rescue tends to lag modern hardware, and probably won't
see SATA disks without the additional drivers.

Then mount your root partition.  Rescue provides a /mnt node, so you can use
           mount -t ext4 /dev/sdaX /mnt
You can then make the symlink modifications in /mnt/etc/systemd/system
and reboot from the root partition.