[Mageia-dev] HEADSUP: Full git clone of all package specs (with history)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 8 23:46:13 CEST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Christian Lohmaier at 05/04/13 12:44 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi Colin, *,
>
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM, P. Christeas <xrg at linux.gr> wrote:
>> On Saturday 23 March 2013, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 22/03/13 09:32 did gyre and gimble:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That said, running git blame takes *ages* even on an SSD drive. It was
>>> at least a couple minutes to display the results of a blame on a spec file.
>>
>>  Let me remind you of the other suggestion:
>>  Put each package in a separate git repo, and then use "submodules" to bind
>> all of them together into the "Mageia" repo..
>
> Somewhat surprised that it takes so long - LO's core repo is much
> larger and is reasonably fast, even on traditional disk.
> Maybe git maintenance commands (gc and/or prune) may help? Care
> uploading the repo to github or similar?

I can push the repo somewhere sensible if you wish, but it's not likely
super useful unless you have the git-svn branch too.

But I've done pruning of the empty commits (i.e. those ignored via
--ignore-paths with git-svn) which took 3 days to run in a tmpfs
filesystem!, and also done a git gc --aggressive. The times posted are
what results from that.