[Mageia-dev] Build tool idea

Joseph Wang joequant at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 01:15:16 CET 2013

Before I reinvent the wheel....

There was a request for peazip, and what I'm thinking about doing is
to write a script
called "repobuild".  This script would pull the .spec and source files
from mgarepo
and then build and install an RPM package.

The use case for this is:

1) so that people who have a Mageia 3 install, can do beta testing on
a few packages
without messing up their current installation.  (i.e. if you want a
cinnamon environment
now)
2) so that we can keep doing development while we are in the middle of
a release freeze
3) so that people can get packages from cauldron without waiting for a
release cycle.  If
they are full beta testers they'd install cauldron, but the people
that I'm thinking of would
just want to run one or two new packages on top of the latest Mageia
4) so that there is an easy way of doing a rollback if cauldron breaks something

Now before I start on this, is there any wheel reinvention here.  I'm
looking to just wrap
mageia repo, so that someone can do

   sudo repoinstall peazip

and then come back in a few hours, and have peazip there.