[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Barry Jackson zen25000 at zen.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 15:27:31 CET 2013

On 03/02/13 18:05, Felix Miata wrote:

> Nice in theory, but the root device is off by -1. Default menu.lst
> cmdline includes root=LABEL=22cauldrn instead of UUID or device name,
> which is apparently disregarded by grub 2.

Maybe a limitation of legacy_kernel.
Normally to use labels in grub2 the 'search' command is used without any
reference to the device assignment.
Like:-

menuentry 'Mageia-2 multiboot' {
search --no-floppy --label --set=root mageia-2
multiboot /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img
}

> menuentry 'Cauldron defkernel' {
>    legacy_kernel   '(hd0,22)/boot/vmlinuz' '(hd0,21)/boot/vmlinuz'
> 'root=LABEL=22cauldrn' 'splash=verbose' 'noresume' 'video=1152x864'
> 'vga=794' '3' ''
>    legacy_initrd '(hd0,22)/boot/initrd' '(hd0,21)/boot/initrd'
> }
>
> It works when I s/hd0,21/hd0,22/g.

That syntax is apparently correct, as legacy_kernel needs to know what
the original legacy command was.
I have tested here in a clean mga3 installation and it works for me.

Please re-test and if it fails again please attach the original menu.lst
and the resulting grub.cfg along with any error messages.

Barry