[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 5 01:52:18 CET 2013

On 2013-02-04 20:27 (GMT) Barry Jackson composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/menu.lst.04-cldrn-gx27b.txt

>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/etc-default-grub-cldrn-gx27b.txt

>> Only error message I recall is about vga= from Grub2 before first
>> kernel/init messages appear.

> I was referring to re-testing the use of grub2-menulst2cfg again, since
> it works perfectly here.

> If you truly get errors from the grub.cfg produced by it then I would
> like to report this upstream. I suspect there is something slightly
> unusual in your menu.lst that it can't handle, so we will need both
> menu.lst and the output .cfg, plus any error messages that may be useful.

First I did urpmi --auto-update, which raised grub2 from -16 to -17. The new
grub.cfg generated by grub2-menulst2cfg is identical to the last one it made:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/grub.cfg.05-cldrn-gx27b.txt

The two links above are unchanged.

Selecting the first stanza, as before, causes:

"...
doing fast boot
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run': File exists
udevd[99]: could not find module by name='e1000'
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, ...
...resume device not found (ignoring)
Waiting for device /dev/root to appear...Could not find /dev/root ...
Want me to fall back to /dev/by-id-yada-part21."

The root device is in fact /dev/by-id-yada-part22.

> Since your comments earlier I have decided to split out the theme into a
> separate package, so that a minimal installation using grub2 will not
> pull in the font, image etc.

> I have pushed a new version that Suggests: os-prober in the meantime.

urpme os-prober didn't try to remove grub2 this time. :-)

> So, in future an install of grub2 with --no-suggests will be without a
> theme or os-prober, and perform as per the modifications I suggested above.

> Thanks for your constructive comments Felix,

:-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/