[Mageia-dev] Please remove qemu, and qemu-img from Mageia 3.

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 02:16:37 CET 2013

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 04:16:54 -0500, Pascal Terjan <pterjan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM, David W. Hodgins
> <davidwhodgins at gmail.com> wrote:
>> During testing of updates to qemu, and x11-driver-video-qxl,
>> it has become very clear that no-one could possibly be using
>> these packages, as they are so slow, as to be useless.
>
> Try loading kvm module and selecting the fast drivers for network/disk/...

lsmod|grep kvm
kvm_amd                55516  0
kvm                   413942  1 kvm_amd

Whether it's loaded or not doesn't seem to make any difference.

If I add the -enable-kvm option, it fails with ...
KVM not supported for this target
No accelerator found!

Checking under htop shows it's clearly cpu bound, using 2 of my 4 cores.

The command I used to run qemu was ...
qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom "$Iso" -hda mageia"$Arch".qcow2 -boot d -net nic
-net user,net=192.168.10.0/16,host=192.168.10.3 -m 4096 -vga qxl
with the Iso and Arch variables set appropriately.

Suggestions for faster disk/network options?

Given that other people do find it useful, it's obvious there's something
wrong either with the options I'm using (or not using), or my hardware or
bios settings.

Hopefully it's not the hardware. The cpu is an AMD FX(tm)-4170 Quad-Core
Processor, with the following flags shown in /proc/cpuinfo ...
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid
aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave
avx lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse
3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 nodeid_msr topoext perfctr
core arat cpb hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean
flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold

Regards, Dave Hodgins