[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 7 14:34:06 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 07/02/13 11:40 did gyre and gimble:
>> 'Twas brillig, and David Walser at 06/02/13 18:28 did gyre and gimble:
> [...]
>> What I guess we could to to avoid putting rsyslog on the physical media
>> would be to put a versioned conflicts in the main systemd package with
>> rsyslog and syslog-ng. Thus the old packages should be removed when
>> upgrading (AIUI).
>
> not a really good idea imho, i have a server which uses rsyslog for
> network remote syslogging... so upgrading that would break this.

Only if you upgrade without a network connection. Like I say this
suggestion would only cover the cases where there was a desire to remove
rsyslog from the physical media (to make room for other stuff).

It's only an option tho'. I'm not suggesting it's a solution or not.

> what about the tty12 bug? can this be fixed with journald? it seems to be
> a feature that people don't want to lose?

Not sure. I'll find out. It should be trivial really... i.e. all it
really needs is a journalctl -f command run on tty12. You could craft an
agetty command that worked like that easily enough, although there may
be something more elegant that is more efficient and cleaner.