[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 8 10:54:22 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 07/02/13 18:40 did gyre and gimble:
> Op donderdag 7 februari 2013 13:34:06 schreef Colin Guthrie:
>> 'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 07/02/13 11:40 did gyre and gimble:
> [...]
>>> what about the tty12 bug? can this be fixed with journald? it seems to be
>>> a feature that people don't want to lose?
>>
>> Not sure. I'll find out. It should be trivial really... i.e. all it
>> really needs is a journalctl -f command run on tty12. You could craft an
>> agetty command that worked like that easily enough, although there may
>> be something more elegant that is more efficient and cleaner.
>
> since the tty12 "feature" is present now, it would be nice if it could still
> be there and started as soon as possible, just like before.

Just to try it, can you set:

TTYPath=/dev/tty12
ForwardToConsole=yes

in /etc/systemd/journald.conf

I'm not 100% sure whether it really should be available by default tho'.
I mean, if you are a logged in user you cannot view the system logs
unless you are in the adm group or root. Why should you just be able to
see it via switching to a tty? Seems somewhat counter intuitive to me.

Of course you could say that if someone has physical access then all
bets are off anyway... but IMO it does still seem slightly juxtaposed.

Thoughts welcome on whether:
 a) This should be off by default (as now - but change from classic syslog)
 b) We should default it to on.
 c) We should provide an easy to use ticky box to turn it off/on easily
via GUI.

Regardless, we should probably configure all syslogs to not do this by
default (as it will class if it's enabled in the journal).

Thoughts?