[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 8 11:15:44 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 08/02/13 10:06 did gyre and gimble:
> Le 07/02/2013 19:40, AL13N a écrit :
>> Op donderdag 7 februari 2013 13:34:06 schreef Colin Guthrie:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 07/02/13 11:40 did gyre and gimble:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Not sure. I'll find out. It should be trivial really... i.e. all it
>>> really needs is a journalctl -f command run on tty12. You could craft an
>>> agetty command that worked like that easily enough, although there may
>>> be something more elegant that is more efficient and cleaner.
>>
>> since the tty12 "feature" is present now, it would be nice if it could
>> still
>> be there and started as soon as possible, just like before.

> I'd like tough than journald be reloaded if the host name change. That's
> a bit painful to get logs for 'localhost' just because the name was set
> after starting log system.

Restarting journald is not a great idea if you can avoid it. At present
it doesn't yet support a full reexec mode which preserves file
descriptors which are connected to it thus some apps may lose their
logging depending on how they are connected to it.

Also I'm not sure what you mean... if I change my hostname, it's
reflected properly in the journal.

Does this not happen on your system? Perhaps some configuration probme
with nss-myhostname (tho' not 100% that matters)?