[Mageia-dev] Logging + Provides/Requires (Re: [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl)

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Fri Feb 8 14:36:14 CET 2013

08.02.2013 15:19, Olav Vitters skrev:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 02:07:52PM +0100, Anne Nicolas wrote:
>>>
>>> It is either persistent logging or logging in memory right? I assume
>>> people won't understand that it'll log anyways, just in memory. So no
>>> point in giving an option that does not do what people might expect.
>>>

>> Just one point about this. It was said during meeting that having
>> journalctl by default could break some other software like fail2ban.
>> This should be checked.
>
> Some software relies on /var/log/messages and as such syslog. Journal
> does not break anything. But if you then remove syslog, then result is
> that such things will break.
>
> Same for gnome-system-log. IMO we should fix that software which relies
> on /var/log/messages (before 3 and if found afterwards, provide
> updates). For unmaintained software, deal with it as any other.
>
> /var/log/messages usually contains this weeks log messages. It is pretty
> trivial to replace that with the output of journalctl.

I think the best thing for Mga3 is to both install journald and
upgrade rsyslog too by sticking it on install medias.

Then we add in Mga 3 release notes that for upgrades rsyslog
will be upgraded, but new installs will only have journald,
so people wanting / needing it _must_ install it manually.

And we also add the in the notes that we *might* obsolete
(but not remove from repos, to still keep it as an option)
it during upgrades in coming mga releases if journald gains
all the features needed to really replace rsyslog.
So we suggest people start trying to see if journald can
provide all that they need.

As a side note...
when journald was first introduced I had the "what for..."
reaction too as I was so used to grepping syslogs for
stuff I needed... :)

But now when I have gotten used to journalctl and the power
of it, I dont really need the old logs anymore :)

--
Thomas