[Mageia-dev] Installation Problems

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Sun Feb 10 19:14:33 CET 2013

I did another netinstall on an older Dell desktop
I experienced some two major problems:

I used a boot ISO (the box doesn't have a DVD drive) That I donwloaded from the mirror.

After the intial download, when the graphic destop shoil;d show, I got a white, plank screen.

I then did a text install and after the reboot, I logged in as normal user (KDE) and got nothing but
garbage. After a while I got the login screen again. Got a few loops.

I then used ctrl+alt+F2 and got a command shell. logged in as root and did startx
After I got the normal X-windows, I used userdrake and added a new user. did  a reboot and then
looged in as this new user. This worked well.
I then deleted everything in my home directory and did a reboot and logged in as myselve (the user
that didn't work the first time) and all works well.
I don't don't which components is causing the first login problem.

This is the second time I have this problem. It wasn't there at B2, but showed about a week ago
after a cauldron update but slightly different. The login stopped after the last icon when loggin
into KDE.

On another box, (a 4 year old DEll Laptop), a message came up something along the line lnuser temp
full.
Here the same, I had to delete everything in the user's home directory and then all was fine.

--
Best regards
Thomas Spuhler